Coronavirus (COVID-19) Travel Advice - 17 September
You’re welcome to take the train, whatever the reason for your journey. Before you travel, please familiarise yourself with this page to help keep others safe and healthy. You can also visit the National Rail Enquiries website.
Simple things to remember:
- Do not travel if you feel unwell or have symptoms.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Avoid busiest times/routes.
- Keep a safe distance while travelling when possible.
- Wear a face covering unless you are exempt.
Plan ahead, consider others and stay safe.
What we are doing to keep you safe
- We introduced enhanced cleaning at our stations and on our trains, paying particular attention to high touch areas such as ticket gates, push buttons, door handles and grab rails. If you see anything you think isn’t as clean as it should be please don’t hesitate to tell a member of our staff.
- Hand sanitiser units are available at Stansted Express stations. We also use cleaning equipment - fogging guns and vaccum packs
- Soap, water and toilet paper is topped up regularly in our toilets on stations and trains.
- Toilets are open at Stansted Airport, Tottenham Hale and London Liverpool Street.
- Discouraging the use of cash when buying tickets.We can still accept cash if you have no other means of payment.
- Floor markings, posters and taping off seating are in place at stations which make it clear how you can keep your distance.
Queuing and one-way systems are in place to limit the number of people on platforms or in stations at any one time.
We’re constantly monitoring the number of people using our train services to ensure there is capacity to enable social distancing.
Reminding people to socially distance on our trains through announcements.
You can check our Less Busy Trains information to check the busiest trains.
Before you travel
- Do not travel if you have any COVID-19 symptoms, self-isolating as a result of coronavirus symptoms, sharing a household or support bubble with somebody with symptoms or if you’re clinically extremely vulnerable and cannot shield during your journey and have been advised by the NHS test and trace service that you should self-isolate. Please refer to the NHS website for more information.
- Buy your ticket online or on your phone before you get to the station preferably, so that you minimise your time at the station.
- We’re providing details of the busiest trains, so please check this information using our less busy trains tool
- Wear a face covering on our trains and at our stations. This is mandatory unless you're exempt. Failure to do so could lead to a maximum fine of £3,200.
- Follow all Government and NHS hygiene guidance: wash your hands, cough or sneeze into your elbow or tissue – and throw tissues in the bin.
- There is liquid soap available at our stations and on-train toilets and hand sanitiser units are available at Stansted Airport, Bishops Stortford, Harlow Town, Tottenham Hale and London Liverpool Street.
- Comply with our queueing and one-way systems.
- Sit apart form others on the train and spread out along the carriage. Sit near a window if possible.
- Follow instructions about how you can keep your distance – listen to announcements, read posters and follow floor markings.
- Don’t leave your rubbish on the train or at the station, unless it’s in the bin so that our cleaners can spend more time cleaning than litter-picking. If you’re wearing a face mask or gloves, please don’t discard them on the train or at our stations.
- Listen to our staff. They’re trying to keep us all safe.
- Stand back and let people off the train before you board the train.Use all available doors and move down the train. Please get on and off the train as quickly as you can.
- Don’t congregate at the front of the train on the approach to London Liverpool Street, or Stansted Airport.
- Only one person in a lift at a time, please.
- Reservations are not required on Stansted Express trains.
- If the last train is full and you are unable to board it, or train service disruption causes you to miss a scheduled connection for the last train, we will seek to provide replacement transport to get you to your destination station. Please contact a member of station staff or use the customer information contact facility available at the station (usually via the ticket vending machine) to seek assistance.
- In the interest of your safety, when stations or trains are at full social distancing capacity, station teams may at times prevent customers from entering the station, platform or from boarding a specific service if social distancing is being severely compromised. If this occurs during service disruption, our control teams will decide on a train by train basis whether to remove scheulded stops to reduce the impact on social distancing as best as possible.
- The government has made the wearing of face coverings mandatory, unless exempt, in England on trains and at stations/transport hubs. Regulations for other nations differ, government guidance can be found here.
- There are exemptions for people with disabilities or certain health conditions, such as respiratory or cognitive impairments that make it difficult for them to wear a face covering, and for children under 11. Find out more here
- A maximum fine of up to £3,200 can apply.
- A face covering vending machine can be found at London Liverpool Street station and many of our staffed statins may provide you with one if needed..
You are temporarily able to remove your face covering to eat and drink on the train or at stations, as long as you social disatnce and replace your covering when finished.
- Our food and drink retailers may not be open, so remember to bring a bottle of water and any food you may need for your journey.
- Our latest timetable started from 6 September. Train services to and from Stansted to London Liverpool Street operate half hourly Monday to Sunday, with 3 trains an hour at certain times of the day Monday to Friday. You can find out more with our Journey Planner.
- All ticket offices have re-opened. Normal ticket office hours apply. View ticket office.
- Please book assistance a minimum of 12 hours before you travel.
- The call centre opening times have changed. You can contact the assisted travel line on Monday to Friday between 8am-8pm and 9am-5pm at weekends on 0800 028 2878 (free of charge) or via Textphone and Minicom: 18001 0800 028 2878.
- If you need to request assistance outside of these times for travel the next day only, please call 0800 0223720.
- Alternatively, you can submit a request online.
- If your journey is for travel beyond the Stansted Express services on other operators’ services, please book 24 hours before travelling so we can meet their notice period requirements.
- Assistance may have changed slightly from pre-pandemic assistance to maintain social distancing. For example, a member of staff may stand further away and make contact when absolutely necessary. We also can provide turn up and go assistance to those who haven’t pre-booked.
- Please note that local lockdowns may result in travel and other restrictions across the UK. Please check before you travel. If there are any restrictions affecting travel on the Stansted Express network, we will provide details and updates here.
- Please plan your journey to these areas ahead so you’ll be ready to change trains at certain stations if needed as well as being aware of any local relaxations on service restrictions. If you want to request a refund for ticket to or from these areas, please visit our coronavirus ticket refund update.
Stay in the know
We would strongly recommend following us on twitter @Stansted_Exp to keep up to date with train running information on the day.
Symptoms of coronavirus and Government advice about it can be found here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
Find out more about how we’re working together with other train companies to support the efforts to delay the spread of coronavirus, and to keep services running as normal, on the National Rail Enquires website.
Find the most up-to-date information about Stansted Airport on London Stansted Airport’s website.
Hey you. Don't want to miss out on our exclusive offers?
Get our newsletter and be the first to hear about special promotions, latest updates and competitions (you'll receive cool stuff, promise)